Planet of the Apes 50th Anniversary
Planet of the Apes Trivia Contest!
Thanks to a special arrangement with Hachette Books and in celebration of the 50th anniversary, we're giving away 10 copies of the brand new Caesar's Story. This wonderful book is an illustrated life story of Caesar, the brave and extraordinary leader of the Apes, as told by Maurice, Caesar's best friend.
All you have to do is correctly answer the following trivia questions. Just copy the questions below, paste them into an email, and send them to . And if you need help, just check our Twitter feed.
We'll hold a drawing on November 17, 2018, from all correct entries to decide the winners.
Answers must be received via e-mail by 12pm midnight ET, November 16, 2018,
in order to be eligible. We'll post all of the answers after the contest has ended.
Be sure to include your e-mail and snail mail
address on your entry. This contest is open to residents of the US and Canada only. Prizes will be mailed by to the winners from Hachette Books. Personal info will NOT be shared with anyone else. Good luck!
CONTEST HAS ENDED. Thanks to everyone who entered. All of the answers are posted below.
- List all nine Apes films in chronological order of release.
Planet of the Apes (1968), Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970), Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971), Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972), Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973), Planet of the Apes (Burton, 2001), Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011), Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014), and War for the Planet of the Apes (2017).
- Charlton Heston made two other classic sci-fi films. Name them.
The Omega Man (1971) and Soylent Green (1973).
- How many Apes TV series were there?
Two: Planet of the Apes (Live Action, 1974) and Return to the Planet of the Apes (Animated, 1975).
- David Oyelowo's character "Steven Jacobs," in Rise of the Planet of the Apes is named after what real-life individual?
Classic Apes producer Arthur P. Jacobs.
- Maurice the Orangutan in the new series is named after whom?
British actor Maurice Evans, who played Dr. Zaius in Planet of the Apes (1968) Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970).
- What is the name of the final drug in Rise of the Planet of the Apes that Caesar uses to make the Apes smarter?
ALZ-113. Caesar was affected by ALZ-112 (112 min is the run-time of the original Pota).
- Two famous film directors played in one of the Classic Apes movies. Who were they and in which film did they appear?
John Huston (The Lawgiver) and John Landis (Jake's Friend) both appear as actors in Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973).
- Who was originally cast to play Dr. Zaius in the original film?
Edward G. Robinson (he even did a test scene), but the make-up process was too rigorous for his ailing health.
- Andy Serkis portrayed what other famous movie ape on the big screen?
King Kong in the Peter Jackson remake (2005).
- Which famous TV writer co-wrote the screenplay for Planet of the Apes?
Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling (you can watch our fan film where we re-edited it as an episode).
- Who played Lt. Stewart in the original film?
Lt. Maryann Stewart (who dies at the very beginning of Planet of the Apes) was portrayed by Dianne Stanley. This role is often mistakenly credited to Natalie Trundy.
- Linda Harrison (Nova, original series) also appeared in another famous sci-fi film and its
sequel. Name them.
Linda Harrison played the mother, Susan, in Cocoon (1985) and Cocoon: The Return (1988).
- What year did the dogs and cats die in the original film series?
The plague that killed all the dogs and cats (thus inspiring humans to adopt apes as pets) happened in 1983, between Escape and Conquest.
- What was the name of the outbreak that killed most of the humans in the new series?
The Simian Flu.
- Academy Award winning make-up artist John Chambers was portrayed by John Goodman in what recent film?
John Chambers, who won a special Academy Award for outstanding make-up achievement on Planet of the Apes (1968), also secretly worked for the CIA. He is portrayed by John Goodman in the movie Argo (Best Picture, 2012).
- What Marvel actress plays Caesar’s wife, Cornelia, in the new series?
Marvel actress Judy Greer (Ant-Man & the Wasp) took over the role of Caesar's wife Cornelia in Dawn and War. Devyn Dalton played Cornelia in Rise, and her son Cornelius in War.
- Who wrote the original Planet of the Apes novel?
Planet of the Apes was originally a French novel by Pierre Boulie, La Planète des Singes. Boulle considered it a lesser work, with no potential for a motion picture adaptation. Boule also wrote the novel Le Pont de la rivière Kwaï (1952; The Bridge over the River Kwai)
- In the original series, what was Caesar's name before he changed it?
Cornelius and Zira named their son Milo, after Dr. Milo in Escape. In Conquest, Governor Breck had him pick a new name, which was Caesar.
- The character of Koba in the new series is named after what historical figure?
Koba was the nickname of Soviet leader Joseph Stalin.
- What was the name of Taylor's ship in the original film?
It was nicknamed the Icarus. It's official name was Liberty 1.